All About Painting

Google Groups
Subscribe to All About Painting
Email:
Visit this group
Here is an opportunity to talk about painting and art in general. This group gives you a chance to share your ideas, comments and pictures with other folks with the very same interests. Use your e-mail to sign up as a member and come and join us.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Forsythia Day 2

I really don’t know what to call this post (I like post better than blog). I thought it would be interesting to paint in front of an audience, albeit through Scuttlebutt. I did a little teaching years ago but not about watercolor.

Anyhow, here is “Forsythia” a few hours later:


I had placed some light pencil lines in the lower right corner that arched up and across the paper toward the sky. This was my initial guideline to create a sweeping movement of Forsythia branches and blossoms in the foreground. My first pass at the plant is just that—placement, direction, size and color. I have several photos of a real plant but decided to rely on memory for this painting.

BTW – Light colors like yellow need to go on first so that they remain intense. Using a transparent yellow over another color would change the yellow and diminish its intensity. Of course, this means working darker background color into the negative space around the yellow as I move on to later stages.

L8ter,

Wetbrusher

No comments:

Post a Comment