All About Painting

Google Groups
Subscribe to All About Painting
Visit this group
Here is an opportunity to talk about painting and art in general. This group gives you a chance to share your ideas, comments and pictures with other folks with the very same interests. Use your e-mail to sign up as a member and come and join us.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fire Starter Progress

I changed the painting by removing the hat and going with a more island native look for the fire starter. I’ve also began to fill in the sky and toned down the fires reflection that surrounds the native.

I have been working as frequently as I can but still allowing the paint to dry between layers. I have used a Winsor & Newton water mixable paint called Artisan exclusively for the study. I have also added a mixture of Artisan fast drying medium with a little Artisan painting medium to the paint before applying it to the painting. The two mediums provide a smoother brush stroke and faster drying. One thins the consistency of the colors which aids in detail painting, while the other speeds up the drying time.

I may have made this study a bit too dark. I will have to see if I have got it too dark after I add the sepia glaze in a few more days.

The finished painting will need to dry completely before I can apply a glaze of sepia as my finishing touch.


Monday, July 6, 2009

Fire Starter - Next Step

As I mentioned in my last post, I am doing some preparatory studies to test the affect of using sepia paint when I actually work on the final painting of The Old Stone House. I am interested in finding the right combination of color and glazes to give the Stone House an antiqued look. The client (my sister) wants the painting to show her 1798 house as it may have looked 200+ years ago.

I began this series of tests with a painting of a native building a fire by the light of the moon in a dark jungle scene. While far from the setting of the Stone House, the "Fire Starter" will give me a good set of elements to test my "Antiquing" colors.

After preparing a line drawing of the Fire Starter and then transferring the drawing to a small (11 1/2" X 9") gessoed canvas, I then used both cool and warm Acrylic paint as an undercoating.
This post shows the progress of applying Water Soluble Oils as I develop the study to a point where I can actually apply a sepia glaze to test my theory that sepia will give me the “Antique” look I am hoping for.