All About Painting

Google Groups
Subscribe to All About Painting
Email:
Visit this group
Here is an opportunity to talk about painting and art in general. This group gives you a chance to share your ideas, comments and pictures with other folks with the very same interests. Use your e-mail to sign up as a member and come and join us.

Monday, September 28, 2009

The City of Canals Glaze Stage

Antiquing the “The City of Canals” had a few unique challenges. I thinned down the sepia glaze quite a bit to allow more color to come through on this finished painting. I actually had to add a second glaze on this painting to give it a more even application of age. By now you probably realize that this mysterious “antique” quality I have been trying to achieve mostly consists of a brown tint that occasionally looks a lot like mud. Yep! That is what I’ve been looking for all this time. So, I believe that the glaze has achieved the right look. What do you think?



In the following comparison it is easy to see how the glaze has added “time” to the painting. Although the original painting was of a modern city, you can see how rendering a painting that included old cars, horse drawn carriages and the like would have magically turned the clock back many years.













L8ter,

Wetbrusher

1 comment:

  1. Wow Joe, the glaze really finished or polished this painting. I love the look an antique glaze gives. I haven't used this technique for a long time but I have something in mind.
    Beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete