All About Painting

Google Groups
Subscribe to All About Painting
Email:
Visit this group
Here is an opportunity to talk about painting and art in general. This group gives you a chance to share your ideas, comments and pictures with other folks with the very same interests. Use your e-mail to sign up as a member and come and join us.

Friday, April 25, 2008

What's The Point?

If you read my last blog (First Come First Served) you might be asking that very question, "What's the point"? My early experience with painting was a disaster in my opinion. I believe I was too young to dabble in oil paints. My motor skills, or something like that, were not developed well enough for me to overcome the simple nuances of working with paint and brush. I also had no concept of color mixing and blending. I also didn't have the guidance and support of a mentor. As a result, I believe I developed a fear of painting and color. I was too tight and not as loose as I became in later years. My sense of experimentation had not developed yet. It was too easy for me to fall back on what I was used to and what I was good at. At that stage of my life I really hadn't completely explored drawing enough to move on to painting with confidence. I had not yet had a successful experience with poster painting, which as I remember was an easier introduction to paint and brush. That was to come when I hit the first grade at my elementary school. Yes, once upon a time public schools offered art during the day, as well as recess and physical fitness programs.

So the point of my last blog’s story is this: It is good to encourage young protégées to try new mediums in their work, but remember that they will develop better skills if they are given a little more instruction and encouragement as they progress through the stages of learning any new medium or technique. My Granny, God bless her, certainly meant well. However, by adding a few days of supervised painting instruction along with that gift of the little wooden box of paints might have made a big difference in my having a positive experience verses a negative one.

If you have a child or grandchild who has, at a young age, shown a natural talent for drawing or painting, by all means encourage them to create art. However, try to give them the best leg up with a few neighborhood art classes. Even if you are an artist yourself, Exposing the youngster to an experienced art teacher along with other children with similar interests will be the best possible gift you could give them. Many communities today offer art classes for youngsters. You can find weekend classes offered at the YMCA, YWCA, churches, art stores, and through private art instructors in their homes. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment